Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ours- Taylor Swift

Why I have a problem with Taylor Swift's "Ours" song:
I'm getting ready to break this song down Holly style- so brace yourselves, it might get ugly.

Elevator's silence and morning air
Stranger's silence makes me want to take the stairs
If you were here, we'd laugh about their vacant stares
But right now, my time is theirs.

Alright Taylor, first of all what do you think you're going to encounter on the stairs? Do you and a friend have a rendezvous planned there? If not- all you're going to get is strangers and/or silence.
Secondly, if I was in an elevator and you two love birds randomly started laughing...I would be offended as I would likely think you were laughing at me. Do that, and risk getting punched. Or at least cussed out. Either way- not a fun experience. 

Seems like there's always someone who disapproves
They'll judge it like they know about me and you
And the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do
The jury's out, but my choice is you.

GIRL- if someone tells you a dirty little secret about him, you should probably be a little cautious. Now, I don't mean go all CSI on him. But you shouldn't dive into things woman. If someone is telling you something about a person you probably hardly know (because this song sounds like you're in the "I just met him/lovey dovey all the time" stage), it's more than likely best to listen. Make your own decision by all means- but don't just disregard everything. 

So don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stake's are high, the water's rough, but this love is ours

No, no they do not throw rocks at things that shine. I see the metaphor for jealousy...but still. 99.999 percent of the time, no one is going to throw a rock at a Ferrari because they want it. 
Life makes love look hard? Um, no. Love makes life look hard when it really isn't.
"Life's not hard, but it's too long living like a country song"- Miranda Lambert
Wisely said Miranda. What are country songs about most of the time? Someone loses their guy/girl and their dog dies all while everything in the universe is crashing down around them. This series of events usually starts by "the L word" gone wrong. Hence love making life look hard, not vice versa.
"Life's too easy to be so "darn" complicated"- Zac Brown Band
These guys just know what they're talking about. And they don't write a bunch of fluff songs. It's real music. 
If things are really THAT bad...it may not be a good idea anyway. Chances are someone who's telling you to hit the highway knows what they're talking about. 

You never know what people have up their sleeves
Ghosts from your past gonna jump out at me
Lurking in the shadows with their lip gloss smiles
But I don't care cause right now you're mine

I don't have much to say about this except if he's more worried about girl's from his past- he's not worth it. If he's actually paying a ton of attention to them and disregarding how you feel about it I suggest you get out. You shouldn't have to stress over him just being yours "right now". 

And it's not theirs to speculate if it's wrong and
Your hands are rough but they are where mine belong
I'll fight their doubt and give you faith with this song for you
Cause' I love the gap between your teeth
And I love the riddles that you speak
And any snide remarks from my father about your tattoo will be ignored
Cause' my heart is yours.

I admittedly somewhat like this part(: Again, the only issue I have here is that if you have a billion people telling you something is sketchy about this guy- it's probably a wise idea to listen.

To all of my avid readers (that was typed with heavy sarcasm, by the way)- there are exceptions to the rules. If you have a Noah and Allie/ the Notebook type thing going on, then you're allowed to sing this song and not annoy me because Allie's mom was a jerk and was mean to poor Noah for no reason. BUT if you're some 13 year old hormone crazed teenager and you're pissed at your dad for telling you to break up with your 25 year old boyfriend who has tattoos, has been to prison, and looks like a serial killer...take it off your ipod. Now. You should probably listen to the people who are trying to get you away from his crazy self.

Anyway- enough ranting about poor Taylor. I'm sure she had no clue that someone would actually take her song this way, ha. Personally, I just want her to burn some more pictures and and tell some more douche bag guys that "it's too late for you and your white horse to catch me now". Where's the empowering girl songs, Taylor? That's all I want!



Since this is my first post for this new blog, I'm going to throw this out there- I love all sorts of music and listen to it all whether it irks my nerves or not. There are just some lyrics that really get to me.I'm not going to only rant about songs I don't like. It'll more than likely be a bad song, then a good one to mix things up a little. Have a good day all :D


Up next for the good songs: Goodbyes Made You Mine- J.T. Hodges
Up next for the horrible songs: Why Don't You Stay- Sugarland



1 comment:

  1. Nice work, holly! :) I can appreciate your sentiments toward miss taylor, and your point about people throwing rocks at things that shine is super-true. I'm guessing she's "sold out" in a way - her target audience is teenage girls who actually do believe this crap. She's expressing how they feel for them, not actually giving them wisdom gained the hard way.

    LOL! Sadly, the thirteen-year-olds with the 25-year-old bf's are gonna be the ones who love this song.

    And actually... the songs by Taylor Swift that you like are the ones that I especially hate. My ex-girlfriend set them as statuses while we were still friends after she dumped me. Did I deserve them? ...Maybe. And I won't lie; I listened to my share of "How do ya like me now" by Toby Keith during my recovery.

    Tay-tay is talking about her feelings and while she's doing it she's talking about the feelings of all those girls a decade younger than her. Which says far too much about her emotional maturity.

    ReplyDelete